I get asked, “what sunscreen should I use?” a lot, so here’s a reference guide for you, hope this helps!
1. Do spray tans have sunscreen or block UV rays?
NO!!! You will burn right through your spray tan — it does NOT provide ANY sun protection — so please wear sunscreen!
2. Which sunscreen products are best for a spray tan?
Below are my tips for choosing a sunscreen, plus my top 3 brands.
- Look for an oil- and alcohol-free sunscreen lotion
- Stay away from the aerosol or spray-on sunscreens, they do not go on evenly, have poor coverage and contain alcohol
- Check the expiration date on any products you have at home
3. Lastly, in case you forgot, here’s how to properly apply sunscreen, according to The American Academy of Dermatology
- Choose a sunscreen that has at least an SPF of 30
- Apply your sunscreen before going outdoors, it takes up to 15 minutes to absorb before it starts working
- Use a shot glass size of product to cover your body
- Apply sunscreen to all bare skin. Ears, lips, back of your neck, and under those swimsuit straps
- Reapply every 2 hours and immediately after swimming (per AAD recommendations)
- Don’t rely just on your sunscreen. Hats, UV blocking clothing and the shade to get out of the sun
Have fun, stay safe, protect your skin and tan sunless, it’s the best option!